Looking for meal ideas for your Sunday meal prep?
Try making a lasagna! This recipe is quite simple to make and you can customize the filling to your desire.
This lasagna freezes well. I freeze half of the lasagna in individual portions for those nights when you need a quick dinner or for those days I don't have anything to pack for a lunch. This meal is also wonderful for potlucks!
Lasagna is a warm, hearty meal for this last bit of winter. As I write this, it is -22 C outside! I can't wait for spring!
Prep: 45 minutes
Bake: 30 minutes
Yield: 12-14 servings
12 lasagna noodles
0.5 kg lean ground beef
1/2 cup lentils
1/2 cup onion, chopped
1 cup cauliflower, chopped
1 cup broccoli, chopped
1 bell pepper
1 cup zucchini, chopped
156 mL tomato paste
389 mL tomato sauce
796 mL diced tomatoes
500g cottage cheese
9 slices swiss cheese
500g mozzarella, shredded
1 tbsp black pepper
1 tbsp oregano
Large frying pan
1 cup measuring cup
1/2 cup measuring cup
Deep dish oven pan
1. Cook ground beef in frying pan until cooked.
2. At the same time, partially boil lasagna noodles in a pot until al dente. I also cooked the lentils with the noodles in the same pot to save dishes.
3. While waiting for the beef to cook and the noodles to boil, chop each vegetable.
4. Once the ground beef is cooked, add the chopped veggies, tomato paste, diced tomatoes, and tomato sauce, black pepper, and oregano to the frying pan. Mix well and simmer.
5. Slice the swiss cheese and grate the mozzarella.
6. Drain the water for the noodles/lentils.
7. Lay noodles on the bottom of the deep dish oven pan.
8. Add a layer of the meat/veggies/sauce mix.
9. Evenly distribute cottage cheese on top of the mix.
10. Evenly distribute sliced swiss cheese and mozzarella cheese.
11. Repeat steps 7-10 for another layer.
12. For the final layer, add noodles then cover with mozzarella cheese.
13. Bake at 350 F for 30 minutes.
14. Let cool for 5 minutes.