Healthy Shepherd's Pie Recipe
Shepherd's pie is a good hearty meal for these cooler days. It is easy to make and delicious to eat. It also keeps pretty good in the fridge as leftovers.
I took the classic recipe and make some tweaks to make it a bit healthier. This recipe can be made with lean ground beef or turkey, depending on what you prefer. I add lentils to boost the fibre. As well, I use sweet potato for an extra boost of vitamins and minerals. Lastly, I add plenty of veggies to the dish. By using creamed corn, there is no need for gravy as it keeps the pie moist.
Prep: 45 minutes
Bake: 15 minutes
Yield: 6 servings
2 medium sweet potatoes
1/2 cup lentils
1 lb ground meat
1 tsp Montreal chicken spice
1 garlic finger
1 cup diced zucchini
1 cup diced bell pepper
1 cup mixed frozen veggies (corn, carrots, green beans, peas)
3/8 cup milk
1 tbsp butter
14 oz can of creamed corn
Pan with lid
1 cup measuring cup
1 tsp measuring spoon
1. Pre-heat oven to 350F.
2. Dice sweet potato. Add to pot and boil until soft.
3. Dice all vegetables.
4. Cook ground meat in pan until done.
5. Add vegetables to ground meat and cover with a lid. Simmer until veggies are soft.
7. Drain sweet potatoes. Add milk and butter and mash.
8. Transfer meat and veggie mixture to the baking dish.
9. Open canned corn and pour into the baking dish.
10. Transfer mashed sweet potato to the baking dish.
11. Place in the oven for 15 minutes.
12. Let cool and enjoy!