Stir fry is one of my go-to meals because it is so simple and fast to make. The ingredients can be changed depending on what vegetables you have in the fridge, so it can be suited to what you like to eat.
You can make cooking the vegetables faster if you use a microwave steamer, like the one pictured above. As well, I cook the rice and the lentils together in one pot to save time.
Lentils are a great source of protein and fibre. Plus they are relatively cheap. Lentils are an excellent way to enhance the nutritional value of your meals.
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
2 chicken breasts, diced
1 cup of rice
1/2 cup of lentils
1/4 cup peas
1/4 cup cauliflower, chopped
1/4 cup carrots, sliced
1/4 cup bell pepper, diced
1/4 cup onion
1/4 cup teriyaki sauce
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp montreal chicken spice
Feel free to substitute the vegetables above for ones that you would rather eat.
1/4 cup measuring cup
1 tsp measuring spoon
Flipper or turner
1. Thoroughly cook diced chicken in a frying pan. Season with garlic powder and montreal chicken spice.
2. At the same time, add lentils and rice to a pot of water. Bring to a boil and then simmer until soft. Drain excess water.
3. Dice vegetables and add to microwaveable steam. Cook until softened.
4. Add vegetables to cooked chicken and mix together. Turn off heat.
5. Add teriyaki sauce to chicken and vegetables. Mix well.
6. Serve chicken and vegetables on top of the rice and lentil mix.